UHWI: More than 95 % of COVID-19 Patients Unvaccinated

The University Hospital of the West Indies, (UHWI) reported that as of Thursday, August 12, more than 95% of COVID-19 patients admitted to the hospital are unvaccinated. This comes amidst growing calls from the Government and the private sector for Jamaicans to get vaccinated as vaccines become more available and the COVID-19 threat increases.

Vaccine hesitancy among Jamaicans is proving to be the most dominant threat to the country achieving herd immunity. This as more vaccines are now available but, the take-up by Jamaicans continues to be concerning.

The UHWI also notes that 96.1% of patients admitted for COVID-19 are unvaccinated, while the remaining 3.9% received only their first dose of the vaccine.

Prime Minister Andrew Holness while speaking at a town hall on Thursday, August 12, urged Jamaicans to get vaccinated to prevent the health system from collapsing.

Epidemiologist, Professor Peter Figueroa while debunking misinformation and several conspiracy theories surrounding COVID-19 vaccines emphasised that vaccines are the best protection against the virus.

Meanwhile, Minister of Health and Wellness, Dr. Christopher Tufton, says in the coming weeks the vaccine distribution will be done in a way that provides greater access to citizens.

More in this CVM Live story from Christeen Forbes: