Jamaica’s gas and energy provider, IGL, has made a substantial investment in scholarships at the University of the West Indies, Mona Campus. Each medical student awardee receives 3.25 million dollars, covering three years of their studies, while nursing student awardees are granted 400 thousand dollars for a year’s study.

While the University of the West Indies, Mona Campus witnesses an 80 per cent return rate after the first year, there is growing concern about the remaining 20 per cent. Dr. Tomlin Paul, UWI Mona’s Deputy Principal, highlights a decline from approximately 90 per cent, attributing financial challenges as a leading cause. To address this issue, IGL has stepped in, offering six scholarships for students of the UWI Faculty of Medicine and two for students of the School of Nursing. Dr. Paul sees the IGL Ignite Foundation Scholarships as a potential lifeline, aiding the university’s efforts to enhance the student experience and improve retention rates. Watch the report:

Explore more Major Stories – CVM TV