June 26, 2019 

Opposition spokesperson on health and wellness, Dr.Dayton Campbell is calling on the government to clarify claims of another dengue outbreak in the island. 

His call comes following the death of a 9yr old at the Falmouth Public General Hospital.

Dr.Campbell says credible sources have informed him that the pediatric ward at the Cornwall Regional  Hospital is suspected to be full with patients suffering from cases of fever.

The Chief Medical Officer (CMO) Dr. Jacquiline Bisasor-Mckenzie says the 9yr old was suspected to have had Dengue Fever, but it has not been confirmed. 

“Since last week the Cornwall Regional Hospital has reported an increase in the number of suspected  cases of dengue fever. The ministry of health and wellness declared a dengue outbreak in January of this year and since March we have seen a steady decline in the number of cases,” said the  Chief Medical Officer. 

The chief medical officer also announced that a robust vector program is underway to eliminate mosquito breeding sites. In the meantime, citizens are being implored to use repellants and  destroy breeding sites.